Thursday, July 5, 2012

Pragmatism

Recently, D.I was given the honour to run the sunday service!! I wasn't part of it though. Thought I could just sit back and be part of the congregation.. Then on the night before (or early sunday morning), I received an sms asking if I would share a testimony about the youth. Agreed to it.. Shared, hiccuped along the way but it made people laugh.. Oh well.. But that said, I was still "slacking" but 1 July was still slightly different.

Here is the cool part. When I was playing back all my life events as I was "preparing", I was wondering why did God put me in such an environment. I have seen so many things that many kids don't get to see in their childhood. I would like to say, it was hard growing up in such an environment. It did taught how to adapt and blend in easily, and it shaped me to very pragmatic. Then after service, a few adults approached me, telling me how encouraged they were by my testimony and how they believe God has a plan for me.. At that point, it struck me that perhaps I was meant to share my story to encourage and inspire. Yet the only reason I agreed to share was because I couldn't that it no more. All the voices in my head telling me that I am a product of my past, that I am still the same guy back then. Trying to make me to return back to my old ways. I had to get it out of my system, to tell people and myself that I am not a product of my past.. I survived it amazingly, not conforming to those ways (not fully at least..)


Then later in the service. Brother Joseph talked about moving that one more step. He gave a story of his own, on how he did not rationalize God's will. I started recalling, if whether I have been guilty of rationalizing. Guess what, countless amount of times actually, I have adopted a mindset of Pragmatism. To adapt to the environment and blend in straight away, then start climbing the ladder upwards once I accomplished task 1. To be very results orientated, hence using tried and tested methods to achieve it since I have grown up in a environment where victory is not achieved is deemed as failure. I tend to rationalize those ideas that do not make sense, and then give myself an excuse not to do that something.

Forever refusing to do something nor agreeing to do something that my mind cannot comprehend as it seems :/ Well, so it really hit me that this was a area in my life I need to work on..

Here is the link to the D.I blog post on the Youth Day: http://www.destinyimpact.net/2012/07/di-takes-over-sunday-service-on-1-july.html

No comments: