Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Taiwan & Sawang

So... I should give brief updates shouldn't I?

Well, recently, I have been travelling a bit lately. To Taiwan and to Thailand.

So let's start with Taiwan. So Taiwan was a holiday with my army friends. We went for a period of 10 days? or more. Am not really putting much effort to recalling the length of the trip but it doesn't matter. More important were the memories made there which I would admit, was not as fun as my first trip there probably because it is with a larger crowd, and I have seen some of the things there before. I still managed to do some of my shopping and all. See sheeps, limestones and other sight seeing places like Sun Moon Lake. Gosh, but was the new year period a bad time. We got stuck in the jam for like almost a whole day. Leaving us with just the evening for one of the last few days.

First time at a Geopark, at a sheep farm, attending a countdown party in Taipei, and chilling at a cafe in Taiwan. Other than that, all were mainly repeats like Shilin, Like Sun Moon Lake, like XiMeng, like Night Markets and etc....

What about my thoughts on it? I personally wanted a more chill place to head of to after my exertions in the last few months of 2014. It really took a lot out of me, back to back to back stuff and event planning that came my way. I wasn't so much in the mood for shopping or to be in the company of so many people, but I would not say I did not enjoy myself there. I was just leaning more onto the beach, book, waves, silence feel rather than the city, shop, eat and play feel at that point of time.

And at the end of the day, I would remember this trip as my ORD trip with my army mates. Considering time waits for no man, I'ma free man right now. I won't be staying again with that same bunch of people almost everyday. It was fun, and we grew together during that time. I won't know when we will all meet up again considering our paths divert for now.


Next up, Thailand, Sawang. This time round, I wasn't as agog as the last time I venture there to teach English. (Not that I'm super good at the language) Simply because I have been there. I personally believe once would be enough for me. I can't deny how fulfilling the previous trip in 2013 was. I was so blessed by the kids I taught, they taught me much more. I saw many things that I would not have in Singapore, and notice those simple and genuine smile and joy they had. My main take away from 2013. 

This time round, I wasn't so sure. I again, need more or so what to expect. The difficulties I would be facing, the different food and the language barrier because I can't speak Thai, the culture, the environment and the opportunity cost I would choose to forgo if I went for it. I wanted to do the thing that needed me more, which I didn't know at the point of time when I had yet to commit. Things were different this time round, but I still ended up going for it.

Did I mention it was different this time round? I was pushed more into my discomfort zone, teaching secondary school students rather than primary school meant teaching more complicated English, which I felt inadequate to teach them properly with a huge obstacle called the language barrier. I would say the team dynamics was different, which was a given noting the different people I would be working with. It was interesting, but I'm probably more interesting after taking into consideration by personality and working style which can drive some people crazy. Also, we were interacting more with youths and not kids which it would more of a challenge for me because I would usually talk normally with youths but be more animated with kids. So without language, I am honestly surprised at how the team bonded with the youths in Sawang and everything. 

This trip made me feel emotions again, I felt touched on the last night when reality struck that we would be leaving. Not that I didn't want to leave, just that no goodbyes are ever pleasant. Perhaps why I usually never emotionally attached myself to anything, so there is nothing that can pierce me. I felt joy seeing the students had fun, satisfaction when the students understood. Trust me, I don't ever feel. I'm amazed I felt a tinge of emotions already, but I would never show vulnerability willingly. 

I observed much during the trip and wanted the chance to say this to the youths in Sawang but never got to, " I see within each one of you guys (the youths in Sawang) so much potential, how witty you guys were in how you guys ran the games with the physical limitations of the place, how you guys could interact so well with the students, how you guys treat one like brothers and sisters. I enjoy seeing you guys, looking you guys as one big family. A family that is there for each other, through the good and the bad, to grow and build one another up. A family that will continue to grow in numbers and in God." 

I felt a need to list it, because I might forget it some day. But those were my thoughts that I never got the chance to. That being said, life still goes on. Its time to switch off the switches, and flick back on those I switched off before I flew.


No comments: